Contests at each Meet*
At most of our meets the WISE Division holds model, photo and railroad-related craft popular vote contests. These are free to enter and open to the public.
Bring something that belongs in one of the categories below (and check the rules page just to be sure - we don't have many but we do have a few) to one of our meets. Our Contest Director will get you setup with a number and a small tag to fill out describing your entry. After that it's a blind vote by attendees which are tallied at the end of the meet culminating with the award anouncements. It's that simple and that fun!
Remember, you can’t win if you don’t enter.
Best of Show: Plaque and two (2) gift certificates for NMRA members. Non-members only receive one certificate.
1st Place: Award certificate, and two (2) gift certificates for NMRA members. Non-members only receive one certificate.
2nd Place: Award certificate.
Youth 1st Place: Award Certificate and two (2) gift certificates.
Youth 2nd Place: Award Certificate.
Check the Contest Rules (updated September, 2014) for the finer details or contact Dave Evans the Contest Director, with specific (or not) questions.
All of the following categories will be open at each meet:
Motive Power – Steam
Motive Power – Diesel
Traction / Electric
Non – Revenue Equipment
Photographs – Prototype
Photographs – Model
Youth 8 – 17 Years
Train Related Crafts
*Unless specifically stated otherwise. Contests could not be held for any number of reasons: Bus Trips, Railroad Parks or the Zoo to name a few places we might be that aren't necessarily conducive to contests.
1) The contest is open to all persons attending the meet.
2) The model must be the work of the person entering the model.
3) Models can be of prototype or free‐lanced railroads.
4) Models can be of any scale or gauge.
5) Models can be kit-built, kit-bashed, or scratch-built.
6) Persons entering must apply entry to a category. However, the Contest Director will determine the category in which the model will be entered.
7) Only two entries per person per category are permitted.
8) If only one person has entered a model, slide, or photo in a category, a “No Contest” will be declared.
9) If any entry has previously won a first place award in its category, it may not be re‐entered in that category. However, if a structure, loco, or car has won an award in its category, it may be reentered as a diorama entry (General Category).
10) All categories listed above will be grouped together when under the Youth category. Entrants must be 8 - 17 years of age and must have done 50% or more of the work on the model.
11) Matted photos cannot be larger than 11 by 14 inches.
All voting will be by ballot. One ballot per person, by those persons attending the meet. Ballots are to be tabulated by the Contest Director and committee. The Superintendent, or their representative, will not vote by ballot, but will cast a tie-breaking vote in any category where the popular vote is tied.